North Carolina Auto Accident Attorney Comments on Texting While Driving Accidents
In the midst of the "100 Deadliest Days," North Carolina's AAA chapter recently launched an educational campaigned targeting texting drivers, urging them to put down their phones while driving, a critical message that needs to be repeated as often as possible, according to attorney Richard Flexner of The Law Offices of Richard Flexner in Wilmington, N.C.
"Even though texting while driving is against the law in North Carolina, more needs to be done to educate people about the dangers of texting while driving," Flexner said. "Far too many people are injured or killed every single year by texting drivers in North Carolina. We know because our law firm has worked with far too many victims of car accidents caused by drivers who text or operate their phone while driving."
North Carolina's AAA chapter, AAA Carolinas, organized the safe-driving campaign aimed at educating drivers about the dangers of texting while driving, according to The Herald newspaper. The campaign was launched in the midst of the so-called "100 Deadliest Days," the period between Memorial Day and Labor Day, which car crashes historically climb higher, especially among teenagers. (The Herald, "AAA Carolinas campaigns against distracted driving," June 25, 2015)
Drivers using cellphones cause more than 300,000 car accidents nationwide every year, resulting in more than 2,500 fatalities, according to AAA Carolinas. Another startling statistic -more than 660,000 drivers use cellphones or other electronic devices while driving "at any given daylight moment in the U.S.," according to AAA.
Including North Carolina, 46 states have laws banning texting while driving statewide, according to the Governor's Highway Safety Association. In addition, North Carolina bans drivers under 18 years old and school bus drivers from using cellphones for any reason while driving, according to The Herald.
A proposal to restrict the use of cellphones for drivers over 18 years old in North Carolina to simply hands-free cellphones was introduced earlier this year, according to the Charlotte Observer. (Charlotte Observer, "Fatal Caldwell County wreck another case of distracted driving," June 24, 2015)
Known as the Brian Garlock Act, in honor of a 17-year-old driver killed while trying to make a phone call while driving in 2008, North Carolina state Senate Bill 393 was filed and passed the first reading in March, when the bill was referred to the state Senate's Committee on Rules and Operations, according to the North Carolina General Assembly's website. No further action was taken on Senate Bill 393.
Anything North Carolina lawmakers or Carolinas AAA can do to discourage people from texting while driving or anything else that distracts drivers from driving should be done, attorney Flexner said. "Drivers have enough things to worry about behind the wheel," Flexner said. "Being struck by another driver not paying attention to the road should not be one of them. That's why we applaud the efforts of Carolinas AAA and strongly urge all drivers in North Carolina to put down their phones and focus on the road around them."